Search This Blog

Friday, July 1, 2011

Every Picture tells A Story by Rod Stewart 1971


In 1971 there was no one bigger than Rod Stewart when this album came out. I'd already read in Go-Set how he had the number one album and single (Maggie May) in both the US and the UK. How he was one of the new bunch of songwriters coming through at the time. So I was dying to hear his record and it didn't disappoint. Firstly I heard Maggie May. I was at the back of Inala Village delivering medicines to old people on my Chemist Round. My transistor radio glued to my ear. Then I guess it would be played every hour.
I ordered the album through the record club and had to wait agonising weeks before it arrived. But when it arrived ...straight on the record player and what a brilliant opener..no chorus just a straight-ahead rocking journey with Rod around the world. This song still remains exciting 40 years later. Then you've got the quieter moments. The acoustic stuff. Bob Dylan songs. By side two I'm looking in Mum's wardrobe for a tartan scarf.
I think it was also my first gatefold sleeve. It was brilliant to open up the cover and just find more and more stuff to look at while you listened to the album. The cover was kept near at hand while solidly listening.
Later on a youth camp, I would mime to "Know I'm Losing You". I would hold the stand just like Rod on the cover. And I would walk into the crowd and touch the hands of my fans. Well, the other kids there. While the band mimed away behind me. We called ourselves Flashco.
This album led me into the glorious world of the Faces. Went to see them at the Myer Music Bowl. With no tickets, we just sat outside the fence. Near the end, they let everyone in. So we entered the gig to all these soccer balls flying through the air as Rod kicked them off stage. Magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment