Search This Blog

Monday, July 18, 2011

Best of The Who 1966


Yeah, I've already got one best of the Who on my list. Meaty was my first Who album and so it holds a special place. But I also came across this album in a second-hand store and it contained songs that I didn't know or never knew they covered. Barbara Anne, Bucket T. And Circles and Disguises. Also, I was suspicious that Meaty Beaty tracks weren't the originals which on listening to one of the singles on this I think I was proved right. 5 tracks on here are from the Ready Steady Who EP. Singles like I'm a Boy and Pictures of Lily plus Johne Entwistles Doctor Doctor a personal fave of mine. It was an Australian-only release. Maybe cashing in on their new success. But it's a fantastic early comp quite devoid of what would have been their real best of. Maybe it was too early in the piece.
When I got this I was still searching for the My Generation album. But this was still exciting anyway. I felt I was a lot closer to the early Who here. You can imagine the who playing this stuff live.
A few weeks later I was holding the original My Generation album in my hands. Magic!
My flat in Fitzroy North has a second-hand couch, 2 directors chairs and 2 potted plants along with a sound system and a TV. I'm aiming for Chelsea, England 1966. Groovy bohemia. Or something like that. Records like this were very important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment