Search This Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2011



What a wondorous trip when you are young to start collecting records like this. Falling in love with his greatest hits and then going back and scooping up Dylan's back catalogue. This was the first one that really got to me. I mean Like A Rolling Stone leads off but it's Desolation Row that I would listen to again and again. I even tried writing my own epic in a song called Whatever happened to the revolution? 15 verses. Hey but I'm no Dylan. So I also learned to play Desolation Row, All 8 minutes. The verses went over 3 pages which meant I had to keep turning over the pages in the songbook. I also tried a rewrite of Tombstone Blues called State of Execution, a song The Fiction did a couple of times in rehearsal. And it ended up on our Negative Fun album.
Ballad of a thin Man, Queen Jane Approximately. Such great songs.
Such a cool album. I was under the spell of the mid sixties Dylan. The Chelsea boots and polka dot shirts. I used to collect the Story of Pop magazines. They were a monthly magazine that told the story of rock and roll from start to whatever year they finished making the magazine. I loved learning about new bands. As I still do now.
The Dylan they portrayed was simply cool. Pure London Chelsea style with a great bar band behind him playing loose with the instruments. Yes Blonde on Blonde was brilliant and so too was Bringing it all Back Home. But this is the one I kept coming back to.

No comments:

Post a Comment