Search This Blog

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Band on the Run by Wings 1973


After the Beatles split up Paul got a good going over in the press by John Lennon. Next to the seriousness of John’s songs Paul’s were very lightweight ditties. The worst-case being Bip Bop of Wildlife. That song drove me nuts. However, I always thought McCartney and Ram were great albums. The first two Wings albums didn’t do anything for me.
When I went to England in 74 my cousin Neil only seemed to play only two albums. Bridge over Troubled Water and this. He’d come home from work at lunch and put on one of these two. While we ate Cheese and Onion pie Aunt Sheila had left in the oven.
So I soon found myself liking particular songs. The Lennonesque “Let Me Roll It” was the first one I went mad over. Band on The Run, Jet, Mrs. Vanderbilt..the album started to grow on me. (Strangely the UK version of the album was shorter missing Helen Wheels..never understood that because the lyrics seem to be about the characters on the album)
Back in Australia, the album was all over the radio. It was inescapable. So I avoided listening to it. But as years go by I’ve kept coming back to this album. Yeah, a lot of the words are rubbish but McCartney always had a habit of choosing words that just sounded good, but overall Band On The Run just seems to have that magic that withstands repeated listening. And Let Me Roll It is the best John Lennon song he never recorded. And it’s even better played on the car stereo!

No comments:

Post a Comment