Search This Blog

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Purple Rain by Prince 1984


One night a bunch us of went to see Purple Rain. Wasn’t expecting much though I did like a few of his songs like 1999. But even though it was some ways preposterous, I mean turning up for a gig on a motorbike with your guitar (no case!) on your back! Yeah right! But I remember sitting there mesmerized by some of the concert sequences. Prince was utterly brilliant. At some points lubricated by a cask of wine passed between us we jumped up and danced. Well some of the others did anyway.
Afterwards I couldn’t wait to go and get the album. I was living at the top of a block of flats in Murphy Street South Yarra. Three flights up with a balcony which overlooked the city when the trees weren’t green. Lots of windows. Pretty cool. The kitchen was basically a cupboard but I never cooked anyway. I’d play this album at home a lot. It was the album to put on when friends dropped round. Tracks like When Doves Cry were just mind blowing. 
Then I made a copy for my Fiat 128, My mate Chris had helped me put in a brilliant sound system so I had Prince pumping out as I drove than Toorak Road. Could never stop the car in hot weather though because it would never start up again for at least an hour later. Something to do with the carburetor.

No comments:

Post a Comment