Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2011

Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys 1966


I picked up this record at K-Mart in Burwood around the early seventies. Cheap cover. Cheesy photo. Strangely the sleeve notes are by Ian Meldrum. Australian pop guru. It wasn't called Pet Sounds but later on, as top 100 lists started popping up I realised I actually did have a copy of Pet Sounds on my hands. God knows why they rebranded the album just because it was on a cheap album. Music For Pleasure who put out a lot of cruddy stuff. And a lot of great music too.
Apart from their cheesy image and rubbish like Sloop John B Brian Wilson's songwriting and the production on these albums is just absolutely brilliant. Plus the harmonies and the backing band. Just great.
These are songs you can listen to again and again.
The reason I bought it was I had recently picked up a copy of some other disguised Beach Boys record at a second-hand shop. I was amazed how good the album tracks were on that one and finding Beach Boys cheap everywhere ( and there were lots) I began to amass a collection. Pet Sounds is by far the best. And I guess the world agrees because it always ends up near the top of best of all time Records.
But how could it not with tracks like God Only Knows and Wouldn't It Be Nice? My particular favourite is Caroline No. I first heard that as a solo Brian Wilson single I found in our neighbours stash of old records he was chucking out. This was Graeme Boyd who worked at 3AK. I managed to score some great stuff. He had cupboards full.

No comments:

Post a Comment