Search This Blog

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Doolittle by the Pixies 1989


I was DJing at KAOS in North Melbourne. A disco that used to be Therapy but was now part of Ronny and Michael's expanding empire. Ronny came in one night with a bunch of singles he'd had recommended to him at the Mighty Music machine. To help bring the night up to speed with modern stuff. One single was Here Comes Your Man by The Pixies. The smallish crowd loved it. I loved it. Little did I know I would be playing that song for the next 14 years and more. 
After a few weeks and one Smiths special, I came home from a holiday in Thailand and found KAOS was closed,  At the same time SHOUT! my Thursday night gig was closed, and because the numbers had gone way down at Rubber Soul they were letting me go. I had left on holiday with plenty of DJ gigs and came back to nothing. 
When Ronny and Michael had opened KAOS they had let one of the regular punters Jason W take over Beehive. Luckily Jason, the guy who had taken over Beehive was about to expand himself. He was doing a Friday at the Union Hotel and wondered if I wanted to do the Saturday. Have some Abba specials. I said sure and started the Lizard. The rest as they say is history. The Lizard was a brilliant 11 years.
The Pixies Doolittle is a prime Lizard Lounge album. We played so many tracks off it so regularly because the crowd loved them. Everyone loved the Pixies. Everyone still loves them. And this is their moment on vinyl and CD. With this album and Surfer Rosa, they created something new and amazing. And pop songs too as anyone who had joined in the singalong to This Monkey's gone to Heaven.
A few years back I got to see them live at the Myer Music Bowl. And then at the Margaret Court Arean. And they were great singalongs. But this time with thousands of people. And it was just fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment