Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Brotherhood by New Order 1986


I had all the singles. Now it was time to explore the albums. This was bought at Central Station Records in South Yarra. It's still got the branded plastic on it. It also has a little P in the corner. This means I sprayed the record with a special preservative. 
In the mid-eighties, I was living at the back of a bunch of flats in Meredith Street, Elwood. It had a small balcony that overlooked palm trees and the beach at Elwood. Not that you could see the beach. You just knew you were facing it. The place always had a summery feel to it. And because it was old and retro it was the first cool place I had lived in.
I wasn't much of a muso anymore, I was a DJ. I took more time with my records. Looked after them. Cleaned them. Put on stickers that meant they were protected by some spray-on stuff. Bought more speakers. Listened to Brotherhood by New Order.
I doubt it's immaculate now because there is also a sticker that says songs to play at the club. Paradise, Weirdo, Promise and Way of Life. These were my handpicked dance floor fillers. Though I doubt they did that job. Bizarre Love triangle which happens to be my favourite track of theirs is not highlighted. That's because the 12 inch of that track is just so good I could never play the short version. I must mention the accompanying B-side 1963 which is also a great song.
I also liked the last track "Every Little Counts" but it sounds like Bernard couldn't care less and throws it away with some quite silly lyrics.  I'd read he wrote lyrics as he went along which works sometimes but being a writer myself  I never bought into that theory about New Order or Iggy Pop where every line is ad-libbed. Then again. 
A fabulous mid-eighties record.

No comments:

Post a Comment