Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

My Aim Is True by Elvis Costello 1977


One night I was at Valhalla cinema when it was in Richmond. I can't remember the film I went to see but I do remember some guy walking in with this record under his arm. No bag, just the record. Like a big badge of coolness. Of course we'd all heard of the record but no one I knew had it. I didn't know it had been released in Australia yet. With an inkling that the record was out there some where I was soon off to track down the album. I think I found it in the place where RRR used to be. They had a record shop there open late. There is nothing in the world like record shops at night. Love them.
Loved this record. The short sharp Welcome to the Working Week. The anger. The revenge. Elvis was spitting out these fantastic songs. Wasn't a punk record but was completely in tune with what was going on at the time. Yes it's sounds a bit like pub rocker Graham Parker but this album had a whole lot of charisma despite the pub rock backing. actually it's great bridge between the sounds of Dr. Feelgood and The Clash.
In the end it's the words that get to you. Delivering all that young man blues like no one else before. Even the gentle Alison is full of self loathing and betrayal.
Six months later he released This Years Model and that was even better.
I used to have a giant Elvis poster advertising this album.. Bruce Milne swapped it with me for a copy of the book Generation X. In the end I couldn't find anywhere to put it so I gave it to my friend Mandy. It was so big I don't think she ever put it up either.

No comments:

Post a Comment