Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The "In" Crowd:Ultimate Collection 2001


Suddenly all this stuff started becoming available through overseas outlets thanks to the power of the Internet to connect us to record shops around the world. Once upon a time getting something like this would have been impossible or incredibly expensive. That I got it cheaply delivered from the UK was a godsend. And what a brilliant box set it was. Coming about the same time as the Northern Soul album as was suddenly immersed in all this modness. With Lizard Lounge starting to wind down and the music we were playing on Saturday nights more and more dance-orientated at home I was listening to all those Mod records I used to love plus I was getting to discover all these new sounds. And all the amazing imagery.
I was also back in touch with the Sydney Mods following the tragic death of Don Hosie a leading light of the Mod scene during our heyday. His brother Gary asked me to come and play at a benefit gig for Don's charity. It was a wonderful night at the Sydney Metro and great to see so many old friends. And I played songs like Tube Station and Midnight Hour with just me and a fender Telecaster.
Through these albums, my passion for the sixties and Mod culture was awakened. I also started to write shorter and sharper songs more aimed at the feet. I guess I was going back to my roots. Although at times it feels I'm more like a spectator these days.
This 4 CD set is really quite brilliant. Just listening to it again I feel I should be having a party.

No comments:

Post a Comment