Search This Blog

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Donovan's Greatest Hits 1969
























Loved this record. My brother had a copy and he used to play it in the bedroom I shared with him. My side of the room was covered in posters from Go-Set and pages ripped from old soccer magazines. "Goal' i think it was called. Mainly George Best who was my hero then. Played the record on his portable record player. Big and heavy and rocking. Take off the speakers and spread them apart. Created a magical world inside this teenagers head. A little hippy, a bit folky but also with Jeff Beck ramping up the electric guitar on some tracks. When my brother got married and moved out I bought myself a copy from the Australian Music Club. 
Then I went through the catalogue and started buying his other albums. However, they were a little too trippy and jazzy for me (except for Barablajacal which was the other Donovan album I loved ) 
But mostly I went back to my "Best of". And what a "Best of". Sunshine Superman, Hurdy Gurdy Man, Season of The Witch...all great singles. 
I can still listen to this album and I've even got into a lot of the stuff that was over my head. Cool

No comments:

Post a Comment