Search This Blog

Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Best of The Easybeats 1975


I bought two best of the Easybeats at the same time. Volume 1 and Volume 2 on Drum records which was a cheap label. I really just wanted Friday on My Mind which was an absolute killer song. What I didn't realise was how many great songs this band had. She's So Fine, Sorry, I'll Make You Happy ..tons of really great and classic songs. I couldn't believe they only had one hit single in the UK. Wasn't anybody listening? It made me painfully aware that it wasn't just about the songs. But hey..the image was great as well. so what was the problem? That they came from Australia. I still can't get over how many amazing Australian songs should have been worldwide smashes but ended up very local or cult.
Anyway, I found the accompanying sheet music and started playing the guitar along with them. It wasn't long before we added I'll Make You Happy to the Little Murders song list. I would have also put in Sorry or Wedding Ring, there was just so many. And at the end of the 70s, every Australian band seemed to be covering their songs.
The Easybeats always seem to remind me of both Nunawading Hostel, the first place in Australia we stayed when I migrated here. Easybeats were the band on everyone's lips. And they always make me think of my brother John. My image of him in the sixties seems to tie in with Stevie Wright. Did he have the albums? I'd like to think so but I don't remember any record players at the hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment