Search This Blog

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Shapes of Things by The Yardbirds 1978


I was fascinated by the Yardbirds in 1979. I knew too much about the Beatles and the Stones but little about the Yardbirds but I kept hearing their tracks and everyone sounded different but really out there. They were in the film Blow-Up doing Train Kept a Rollin and smashing guitars and amps. They looked cool and mod and we never got to see them turn into hippies because they were finished before the whole hippy look came along. So they got out just in time to remain forever cool.
In 1979 I was travelling everywhere trying to find new record shops. We were now vinyl hunters. I found this double album in Preston in some little record shop. Both discs are coloured, one green and one clear. I get the green because the album is all green but the clear plastic?
No matter it was my first Yardbirds record. and it starts with an intro which must have been lifted off 5 live Yardbirds. Then straight into a Chuck Berry cover. But the next few tracks I Wish You Would and For Your Love would become part of the future Little Murders setlist. I also tried to get the band to play A Certain Girl.
There have been better compliations and I have those. My first bootleg album I ever bought was a Yardbirds album and that's great.  I bought it just to get Psycho Daisies. But this was my first Yardbirds album after searching for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment