Search This Blog

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Station To Station by David Bowie 1976


Basically, by 76 I was sick of Bowie. I didn't like most of the Young Americans album and neither did I like the David Live album. Going back to stuff like Pin-Ups and Diamond Dogs the albums now came across as unfinished or quickly put together. Especially Diamond Dogs. So after many years of Bowie fandom, I decided not to buy the new Bowie album. Golden Years the single they played was more plastic soul. No thanks!
Then it turns up at the Brashes regular sale for 2.99. So I bought it. Actually, I bought Dr Feelgood first album the same day for 1.99. Anyway, I listened to the Feelgood's first. That was great and hearing the clean sound of Wilko made me want to practice the guitar. 
But Station to Station was something else altogether. I couldn't believe no one had told me how good this was. Word on A Wing and TVC15, Wild is The Wind and Station to Station. Great song after great song. Even Golden years made a lot more sense in the context of the album.
Then he came and played the MCG. The Thin White Duke. We got seats right near the front. The Boys Next Door were closer and they milled around the front of the stage before the show began. Nick Cave waiting for his hero. The Angels opened and they were pretty good. Very minimalist with their guitars. Never a big fan at the time I enjoyed their set and their music has grown on me over the last few years.
Bowie came out and the heavens opened. The rain just poured down. Fans were shouting at each other to put down the umbrellas so they could see Bowie. I stood there wishing he had come sooner and played Ziggy Stardust. but still loving the fact that I was seeing David Bowie at last. The concert was brilliant and my clothes were ruined. This great cord jacket I loved shrank. My boots were destroyed by the MCG pitch. Getting home was cold and miserable.
By the time I got home to Oakleigh, I never felt so happy to get into pyjamas and into a warm bed. Went to sleep with a smile on my face. I saw David Bowie live at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment