Search This Blog

Friday, July 22, 2011

Parallel lines by Blondie 1978


Poptastic! After a bunch of disappointing second albums by the punk elite, the third albums were turning out to be real treats. On this album, Blondie really hit their peak with what would come to be called New Wave. The sixties look and feel was already in place but here it came full bloom with a bunch of pop songs and a look to match. We already knew that Blondie leaned this way with their sixties sound on In The Flesh and the accompanying videos. But this was the one. This was great. The ripped clothes and leather trousers (well vinyl for me) were out. Suits and skinny ties were in.
Actually, I only wore vinyl trousers once on stage. The week before I had spotted a leather looking pair at the Salvos Op Shop in Abbotsford. I had to have them. I thought I would look good in brown plastic leather-look trousers.
Playing a full-on pop-punk gig in them was a different matter. They were so hot I had to peel them off after the gig and they were almost glued to my legs. It was after a gig at the Champion Hotel in Fitzroy. The last Fiction gig. We went to Vic's place for an after-party and I was in the bathroom with my girlfriend Leonie trying to get the bloody things off. They were actually stuck to my legs. I must have foreseen though because I had a change of clothes in the car. The vinyl pants just fell apart.
Blondie never did an album as good as this again but they came up with some cracking singles.

No comments:

Post a Comment