Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 28, 2011


In 2011 I went to the community cup, an annual event where a bunch of people in bands play a bunch of people in radio. In between the footie we have a number of bands playing. That year Tim Rogers fresh from playing all day on the foot field went straight up on stage and into some of the best guitar pop this country's ever produced. Unfortunately the weather was too cold and I managed to experience 3 songs before I had to get my young kids home before we froze. I paid for it with a massive head cold.
Almost 20 years ago I was doing a solo spot at the Don Hosie Memorial gig at the Metro in Sydney, You Am I were playing the bigger room. They let our crowd in for free so just before I did my solo thing I got to see a couple of You Am I songs live. They tore the crowd apart. Bit I had to go and play. And that was it. For some reason or other I kept missing this great band. 
Until last year when they actually came to my suburb and played the Glen Eira Party in The Park. Finally I got to see a whole set and it was an excellent gig. Tim as a rock and roll swagger that draws the crowd in. And what a bunch of great songs.
Anyway I was talking about Hourly Daily. Some people rate Hi Fi Way as their masterpiece but this is the album that does it for me. I can see more of a Kinks type pop influence going on here. It's a great album from start to finish. It's really well sequenced so by the time you get to the end you look forward to hearing it all again. 
1996 in Elwood. Out the back on the new decking.  Soaking up the sun. Drinking beer. Listening to Soldiers, Mr. Milk and Good Mornin'. All Good!


No comments:

Post a Comment