Search This Blog

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Velvet Underground 1967


As I went from erstwhile folky on the outskirts of Melbourne to year zero punk living in Fitzroy, it was amazing the amount of music I was being exposed to. I was devouring print and articles from the UK and while they went on about new music that was inaccessible at the time they also explored the roots of punk. I was already big on Lou Reed and loved Transformer but the albums that came after (except for Berlin) didn't do that much for me and after Berlin, I lost interest. Well Berlin was a bit depressing.
I was familiar with Sweet Jane and Rock n Roll etc because they had been covered. But when I picked up a second hand copy of this album, with the American heavy card sleeve I really understood what it was all about. and it comes with the whole Andy Warhol Pop Art thing writ large. I started reading about the Factory and Edie Sedgewick and the whole damn scene.
We'd sit around the living room at night listening to the trams rumble along Nicholson Street playing Velvet Underground records.

No comments:

Post a Comment