Search This Blog

Friday, June 10, 2011

Dare by The Human League 1981


In 1981 I was playing in a Mod band. Listening to lots of sixties soul and garage rock. My home looked like something out of the sixties. And yet I couldn't help loving this album. When I first heard "Don't You Want Me Baby" me it was a sixties song wrapped up in electro sounds. It had a great beat. I took it to school I was teaching at over in Yarraville and used the song to teach my kids to dance. It was a simple dance called the Monkey. Knees bend, arms down, legs straight, arms up...do the Monkey! The relentless rhythm of the Human league was perfect for teaching simple dance. Not that I was much of a dancer myself.
And it made my stereo sound so good...and the car stereo. Amazing sounds. And it begins with the superb         'The Things That Dreams Are Made Of" where they pay respect to Norman Wisdom and the Ramones.
This album opened up a soft spot in my heart for electronic music. Later .despite the naysayers I really loved the Pet Shop Boys..often on my own on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment