Search This Blog

Friday, June 3, 2011

Golden Hour Of The Kinks 1971

....and here begins my infatuation with The Kinks that's lasted 40 years. All those early singles are on here. It's just magnificent. My first Kinks record and I get Waterloo Sunset, Sunny Afternoon, Dead End Street..the list is endless. In a time when I could keep all my records in one box this was by far the most played piece of vinyl until Bowie came along. While I was familiar with many of the songs most were new to my ears. Shangri La. This album led me to all those other albums I collected.
I was round at PeteJoyce's house and his brother Phil was playing one of his sixties mixtapes and he had the song Autumn Almanac on it. I wasn't familiar with the track but they mentioned Blackpool. I loved the song. Something stirred in me and the next time I was in K-Mart I looked through the K section. It was only $1:99. Value!
Now I've got over 20 kinks albums not including the CD Album Box Set and the BBC Radio sessions box set. And the Village Green Box Set. etc.
And the autograph after the drink with Ray Davies in a hotel bar in East Melbourne. Where I gave him all the Little Murders singles and said to him "I have all of your records and now you have all of mine!" Love the Kinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment