Search This Blog

Monday, June 6, 2011

Harder They Come OST 1972



Although this came out in the early 70s I didn't hear it until after I saw the film in the late 70s. When I became a punk in 77 swearing allegiances to the Clash and all, we not only got the politics of dancing but our ears were opened up to new music and old music we needed to hear.
 Trak cinema were still doing their midnight sessions so when they showed The Harder They Come, the classic reggae film me and Chris Hunter went down to see it. A brilliant film with a brilliant soundtrack. Watching Jimmy Cliff in the studio with the Melodians playing the title song was spine-tingling.
It was dead easy to track down this album. It must have been just re-released. A great album (though I could never tell the difference between the 2 versions of Harder). It also introduced me to a faster reggae and most importantly Toots and The Maytals and "Pressure Drop",  one of the most exciting songs I've ever heard.
Sunny day. Open the windows and put the speakers out. Turn up the bass. How many afternoons were spent relaxing to this record? Too many to count

No comments:

Post a Comment