Search This Blog

Saturday, June 25, 2011

the Stooges 1969


I used to belong to the Australian Music Club where once a month you'd buy a couple of albums and have them delivered to your door. I loved getting home from school and finding a couple of 12 inch parcels waiting for me. I didn't buy this record off the club. But I do remember seeing The Stooges name in the catalogue and thinking what a rotten name. Why call yourselves after the 3 Stooges? And the cover didn't really grab me. I was into T. Rex and Bowie. Then Bowie produced The Stooges Raw Power and my interest was piqued. But by then I had left the club and now had to rely on Box Hill record shops. So no matter how much I looked I couldn't find Iggy's first record. I almost thought about rejoining the club. But I didn't and my record collection stayed pretty much Stooges free.
Finally got the album in 1976 and here were all the songs I heard so much about but never heard. No Fun and I Wanna Be Your Dog. My first band Subway attempted that song. Luckily we never played it live. Actually Subway only played 2 gigs. One at a party where we cleared the living room in one minute flat. And the bass player didn't turn up either. The other gig was the Bayswater Youth Club.
oh and the record. How was it a cult record when it was so good?

No comments:

Post a Comment