Search This Blog

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Germ Free Adolescents by X-Ray Spex 1978


Punk was turning into what they called New Wave. The sounds were all quite glam infested. And they sounded great. Really great. Everyone was started to get a bit more stylish, finding their look. Also the music was starting to move out into the world. 

In 79 I was in a band The Fiction and I was living a bit more inner city. Listening to new sounds on RRR, mixing with new friends. I kinda moved away from my old friends except for the ones who came to see the band or who helped with the band. ( By around 1984  after constant playing in a band when I was younger I found after 6 years of playing gigs I had sadly lost all my teenage friends.)

On one of the increasingly rare occasions I went back to Nunawading in early 79 I visited a friend Christine. I was actually looking for someone else but as we sat on her front steps catching up I heard the sound of X-Ray Spex. Her sister had heard the track Germ Free Adolescents while travelling in London and bought the album. This is someone who loved Carole King. Now there was room for punk rock on her turntable.

I was a bit dubious at first with X-Ray Spex but then Steve Crosby DJed at the Market Hotel (for Little Murders Mod Disco Parties) one night and played Warrior in Woolworth's and I loved it. Bought the album and just loved that also. It's like a small aircraft buzzing cars. I'd play this then the Rezillos. Two sides of a cassette tape. 

No comments:

Post a Comment