Search This Blog

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Never Mind The Bollocks The Sex Pistols 1977


The day this came out in Melbourne I zipped down at lunchtime to Box hill in my Datsun Bluebird and brought the album back to burwood teachers College. I couldn't wait until my classes had finished so me and Leonie and Caroline (who was our drummer's sister) went looking for a good stereo up in the classrooms. They left after a couple of songs but I listened to the whole first side sitting at Teachers College in my home made White Riot/ Clash T-shirt.
One year earlier I was dressing like David Essex at the circus. I was wearing baggy jeans and waistcoats and platform boots. Now I wore black jeans and black suede boots. It was a great feeling to erase the past and start again. And I was in a band. Subway. I was writing songs.
We couldn't wait for the Sex pistols album to arrive so when it did get released it was a bit of a let down. 4 singles that had already been released. Bands weren't doing that anymore. It seemed a bit desperate. also with bands like The Clash and The jam on the ascent the pistols looked a bit naff. And their music was slower. We were expecting a bit too much so our judgements were a bit harsh.
But the singles are great. And there's Seventeen and my favourite EMI. And we all laughed over Bodies. And I've come back to this album many times cos it really is good. And it's very much a part of 77 and that first rush of punk. The cover art. Sid Vicious. The Pistols were like an off station radio playing in the background. Great album. Even if they did take their sweet time to get it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment