Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Psychomodo by Cockney Rebel 1974


This one really puts me back in my bedroom in Blackburn South in the mid-seventies. This is one of those records I played with my head on a pillow between two speakers. After Come Up and See Me (Make Me Smile) came out I started looking for Cockney Rebel records in shops but couldn't find anything. Then I discovered second-hand shops and bargain bins and my life kinda changed somewhat. I could gather up the past faster and cheaper. I guess I was desperate to get a big collection fast. Can't remember where I got this but I think it was in Blackburn near the station. Probably the Newsagent or maybe the new second-hand record shop that was opened opposite the roundabout. Dixons Recycled.
I loved this record. mainly because I was getting sick of Bowie's plastic soul and rubbish live albums. This was still glam. And he had that weird voice. And he filled up his songs with strange characters like Mr. Soft. And the musical landscape and decadence were perfect for a teenager.
While I loved this record, his records after that except for a couple of tracks did nothing for me. Oh well, maybe half of Best Years of Our Lives was pretty good. And Come Up and See Me is a pretty perfect pop single.

No comments:

Post a Comment