Search This Blog

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Down By The Jetty by Dr. Feelgood 1975


Although this came out in 1975 I didn't pick it up until 76 and it was in the bargain bin at Brashs in Doncaster shopping town. God, did I spend my life in that shop? I'd read about the band in NME but this was my first sighting of the record. The cover was unlike anything else I'd seen. These guys looked like extras from Brighton Rock. And when I played the record it was lean and thuggish but totally mesmerising.
The album I bought previously to this would have been A New World Record by ELO and the difference was breathtaking.
This was basically live in the studio. I think it was Wilkos guitar that got me hooked first. Short stabs of the electric guitar like a machine gun. It was the shape of things to come. I kept playing my glam and ELO records but as 76 progressed I kept returning to this record.  Roxette being the particular highlight. As I started to play the guitar and write songs and dream of being in bands Dr Feelgood were my role model. This is what a band looks like. Later I saw the film of them live and it was just incredible. Mesmerizing stage performers. Then I got to see them live at the Ballroom. I was up the front for the first part of the gig but I got so crushed by dancing Mods and punks I ended up on the floor in the bathroom a sweaty mess. Brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment