Search This Blog

Monday, January 2, 2012

Pink Flag by Wire 1977


I picked up this album in 1978 from a second hand record store. I was living in Oakleigh. Because of the lay out of the house I ended up with my own entrance so I kinda set up a pad. I went down to one of the second hand shops in Oakleigh and bought a stereo. They must of seen me coming. It looked like those great music centres I had seen in England. It had a built in tape deck. But when I got it home it sounded rubbish so I took it back the next day. The guy offered to buy it back for half the price I paid. $60. Bastard! Nothing I could do cos I wasn't going to keep it. He did offer me a few free records from a box on the counter. I'd heard little but great reviews for the Pink Flag so I grabbed that. The cover was heavy cardboard so it was definitely an import. The music inside came in short bursts like machine gun fire. The guys I lived with hated it. They were consatntly listening to Weird Scenes Inside a Gold Mine by The Doors. And I hated that. (I came round to the Doors a few years later) Luckily I had my own pad. But for a few days I had no stereo. Which was hell. So I used up what little money I had laying around and bought myself something much better. Punk records were popping out every five minutes. There was a little kitchen attached to my room. One day I got my girlfriend to put a red tint in my hair and cut it short. Wire was playing in the background. That night I played Bernhardts in the city with The Fiction. Groovy times!

No comments:

Post a Comment