Search This Blog

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Give Up by The Postal Service 2003



I don’t know where I first heard about this album but it was one of the first albums I ever downloaded. Not as a whole album but by grabbing individual tracks off different sites the main one being Limewire. So when I put it all together the sounds were all of different levels and different quality. But it was still magic. It also featured jenny Lewis on some tracks.
The moment it really brings back to me is a time I was driving home after DJing at a wedding party way down on the Mornington Peninsula. At what looked a surf beach in Hasting. The reception overlooked the wind-strewn sands. It was a hard DJ gig because the party was full of old friends from the 80s band scene.  Members of the Carlton band scene that I got to know when Mick, Chris and Rod joined my band in 1982. Where they set up my decks there were no lights to see the CDs and only one speaker was working on the PA. This was before the time phones had torches. Tough work but good money! Then of course everyone had a few drinks and we all had a great time.
Driving home I put this CD on (a proper version) Driving down with the darkness and twinkling lights, driving towards Frankston and then home it all became quite cinematic. Especially during my favorite track Such Great Heights. There are also some great versions of these songs around played by the Shins & Iron and Wine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment