Search This Blog

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Lust For Life by Iggy Pop 1977


Although I liked parts of the Idiot, Iggy's previous album, I wasn't ready for how good his next album was when I finally got round to buying it. From that first track Lust For Life, it just exploded out of the speakers.
Around 1978 the parties I went too they were playing different kinds of music than maybe a year before. There was a group of records which including Bowie Low & Heroes, Kraftwerk, the new Iggy Pop albums and so on. A real Berlin feel. A very grey feel. I would come along with my sixties mixtapes and only manage to get a few songs on before we'd go back to grey. I knew I had to find some people who might be into the same thing as me. I guess this is where the first seeds of the Melbourne Mod movement started as we'd gather to party to uplifting joyous pop and soul in small houses in South Yarra. We still played modern songs too. Lust For Life was a big one.
At home, we'd sit and listen to Success which is hilarious as Bowie tries to repeat Iggy's ad-libs without cracking up.
My favourite track was Some Weird Sin. I always played it during my DJ sets though I never got the reaction I hoped.
In the 90s when they released the film Trainspotting "Lust For Life" went through the roof at the Lizard Lounge. I guess it did the same everywhere. People went mad for the song and it became a staple of any DJ's setlist. The whole Trainspotting seemed to be powered by Iggy Pop and that track.

No comments:

Post a Comment