Search This Blog

Friday, May 27, 2011

Plastic Ono Band/John Lennon 1970

A Beatles obsessive just as they broke up I became fixated on John Lennon. My first rock and roll hero. My first bought poster. A picture of John in 'How I Won the War' ordained my wall by itself. I took down everything else. This was the first album I actually bought with my own money. Mum thought there was a bit too much shouting and screaming on it. It was censored with all the F words taken out of "Working Class Hero" ) A song I covered during my folk-rock stage. Didn't go down to well at the Gardenvale Pizza Parlour.
With all the brothers leaving home to get married I had a bedroom and a music listening room. I bought incense and locked myself away for hours listening to the Beatles and John Lennon. I pored over the lyrics that came with the album. This was John in his primal scream phase. The lyrics were dark. The melodies were denser and at times didn't exist at all. The guitar in places was almost punk.
I continued buying his albums faithfully although gradually his albums got worse and worse.
It was a horrible day when he got shot. Horrible.
I went to the memorial in the city at the old City Square. Vic and I went. It was pretty big. His death affected a lot of people all around the world. The end of a dream.


No comments:

Post a Comment