Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Best of The Bee Gees 1969


This album and the songs within are embedded in my childhood memories. Carried through to the start of my teenage head when my brother played the album on his stereo. Later when he got married he sold it to me for 20 cents. I've still got it and it's the Bee Gees I always think of and not the mega-successful 70s version. So the early songs take me back to the Migrant Hostels we stayed in when we first arrived in Australia from the UK. Listening to I Started a Joke on the top bunk of the tiny room in Sydney. Spicks and Specks at the hostel kiosk where I bought my first Marvel comics. Writing out the words to New York Mining Disaster. Singing the same song in the communal showers and bathroom. This was what Australia meant to me when I was young. The sound of the Bee Gees. Oh and the Easybeats but I didn't have any of their albums around.
I was watching a brilliant Korean gangster movie called Nowhere to Hide and it had this amazing scene overlaid with the Bee Gees Holiday. Great scene and it made me remember just how good some of their songs were. 

No comments:

Post a Comment