Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 25, 2011


Is this the best Power pop album of the 90s? It surely is a contender and at the moment I can't think of anything better.
I was shopping in JB HiFI for CDs when the cover of this album just grabbed me. Sometimes you see a cover and just know the record inside is going to be good. And it was. Guitars, harmonies and great melodys with plenty of muscle plus a touch of sweetness. This was my kind of album. Girlfriend started to get radio play and we started playing the track at the Lizard Lounge.
My personal favourite was I've Been Waiting. I copied the album onto a cassette tape and played it in the car incessantly.
Matthew Sweet came to Melbourne on tour. He played the Collingwood Town Hall. In his band was Richard Lloyd from Television. It was loud. very loud. I ran into Paul Thomas who was in Weddings Parties Anything at the time. (later he would join Little Murders for one album) He told me the Weddoes were about to release a single and the B-side was my song Things Will Be Different. How cool!  It was on the single Monday's Experts. Mick Thomas had asked for the words quite a time before so I was always wondering what his plans for it were. My mates would go to WPA gigs and hear my song and tell me they heard Things being played.
I continued buying Matthew Sweet records. Altered Beast and 100% Fun were great albums too. And he's lately made some cool albums with Susannah Hoffs. covering other peoples work.

No comments:

Post a Comment