Search This Blog

Monday, May 9, 2011

New York Dolls by New York Dolls 1973


Picked this one up for 1:99 at a Brashes sale at Doncaster Shoppingtown. Loved those sales. New York Dolls I'd heard about through reading David Bowie articles but also from a book I picked up at a sale which was called NME's Greatest Hits. A wonderful book of classic NME writing featuring Nick Kent amongst others. So when I saw this album I thought I'd give it a go. 
And it was better than I'd imagined. Sure some of it didn't sound that great but some of the songs just blasted out of my wood grain stereo. The first song that knocked me out was Trash then Personality Crisis then it just kept growing. The references to classic girl groups particularly the Shangri Las were just so well-timed with the sixties vibe I always seemed to slip back into
. I didn't get into the look. A little bit too trashy. I did have a few pairs of platform shoes, however. Walking six-foot-tall..well hobbling.
When Bruce Milne asked me on our first meeting (between cars on the highway) what bands we were into I shouted New York Dolls first. Then Iggy etc. Then I went home and turned my acoustic band into a rock band.

No comments:

Post a Comment