Search This Blog

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Hatfull of Hollow by The Smiths 1984


The Smiths were like this big thunderbolt in the early eighties. Everything they did was amazing. I had the first album and was playing it to death when one afternoon I was over at my friend Tania's flat. A huge apartment that overlooked Port Phillip Bay and was metres from the Espy. I was looking through her records when I came across a Smiths record I wasn't even aware of. At first, I was bamboozled because here was an album that contained tracks already on the first album. It turns out they just released their own kind of bootleg. I remember sitting around the flat but itching to get out to a record shop so I could get my own copy.
I had to drive into the city to Missing Link but boy was it worth it. It was like a greatest hits set from a band that was only beginning. I quickly copied it to tape so I could play it in my little Fiat 128 as I dashed around town.
How many times must I have listened to "Please Please Please let me get what I want" and felt sorry for myself? The scene in Pretty in Pink pretty much sums it up.
Morrissey's words were just unbelievably on target for what I and I guess millions of others were thinking. "What Difference Does It Make?" "You've Got Everything Now" For the short time the Smiths were together they were one amazing record after another.

No comments:

Post a Comment