Search This Blog

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Young Gifted and Black by Various Artists 2002























Definitely not one for the purists of Trojan but when I picked up this CD in JB HiFi many years I was so e
xcited to see so many hits from my youth all on one double CD. instant sunshine in a box. These are the singles I heard on the radio not only here in Melbourne but also in the UK. These are the tracks that amazed me with their different sounds but instant familiarity.
And they go back to the early sixties when I sang along to My Boy Lollipop by Millie. Israelites lit up the summer of 69. The seventies with tracks from "The Harder They Come " all those songs that were covered by The Specials and Madness and even the Clash. I could write a list of the tracks on here and place a memory against most of them. I'm a great believer in compilation albums. When I went to JB in my record store days,  I usually headed straight to the compilation rack. Amongst all the dross you'd find something really special. Often it would be looking at the songs you know and hoping the ones you didn't might match up to the others. So suddenly you're finding new music kind of introduced by an old friend.
I've got a few ska compilations And I love the Tighten Up series from the early '70s. But I keep coming back to this regularly. Let Your Yeah Be Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment