Search This Blog

Monday, January 3, 2011

Born To Run by Bruce Springsteen 1975





In 1975 I was at Burwood Teachers College. Near the cafeteria, they would regularly have a record stall organised by the student union consisting of boxes of records many being imports and cut-outs. I'm pretty sure they came from Monash records. One lunchtime I came down to see a group of girls in my class sitting around a table passing round an album cover. These girls had fallen for the charisma of Bruce Springsteen just by looking at the cover.
Yep, it was a cool cover but I hadn't heard anything of his yet. It took hearing Jungleland on the album show on the next Sunday night to convert me.
I hastily tracked down the album and bought it from my local record store which was Box Hill Brashs. Took it to my room and listened intently. My head on a pillow between 2 speakers. And out blasted Thunder Road.
Straightaway I was transported into Springsteen's world. There I was on the streets of New Jersey or just as easily in the film Mean Streets. There were bits of sixties wreckage scattered around the album. Spector, girl groups, the tinkling sound heard on Dusty Springfield Records. Punk rock was just around the corner, but I didn't believe for a second it was crap before that. There was just a lot of it and really it never went away. But there was also a lot of magic stuff. This album rocks. I even bought a Telecaster just like Bruce. and a leather jacket.
Put the cassette in the tape deck. Start the car. Drive. Brilliant

No comments:

Post a Comment