Search This Blog

Thursday, January 13, 2011

London Calling by The Clash 1979


1979 I arrive in the UK and the first thing I do is go to the record shop and buy London Calling by The Clash and Setting Sons by The Jam. Then I had to wait a couple of days until I got round to my aunt Sheila's house to get to a record player. My cousin Neil had a set up with the speakers resting above the curtains in the front room. All I wanted to do was listen to the records but I was there with my girlfriend and I hadn't seen my family for years. I only managed to get through the first side of this but what a first side. The clarion call of the title track, the rock and roll of Brand New Cadillac,,it just sounded so great. And then it got better.
They were playing at Lancaster University which was a short distance from Blackpool. We were down the local record shops the next morning to get tickets. At the show through which we drove through snow and ice and mud to get to we were treated to The Clash in their absolute prime. It was breathtaking watching these legends in what was really a small hall at the University. We were able to get up close and then move back when the crowd exploded. On the way out I bought a poster which is still on my wall today. Actually for a few months in 1980 I lent it to Missing Link for their window display.
A few years later I'm at The Clash's after show party at the Jump Club when my mate Jimmy grabs Joe Strummer and introduces him to me. We sat on the stage and for 20 minutes he told me how important it was to keep going with the band despite all the crap you go through in rock music. I must have listened well because here I am 40 years later working on a new album. Joe was brilliant. He is sadly missed in this world.
I love this album. One of the few great double albums. And what a cover! Magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment