Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Debut by Bjork 1993

 


I saw Bjork at the Melbourne Sports and Entertainment Centre on March 12 1996. It was right up there with the best concerts I'd ever seen. And although her albums were full of beats and lots of club atmosphere she replaced strings with an accordion (the band was also very simple) and just let the songs and her fantastic voice do their work. My attention was glued to the stage. My mind didn't wander once. Those songs on Debut sounded better plus she had the new songs from Post which had just come out. It was also the only night I've ever taken a pair of binoculars to a gig. And they were good ones so they brought me up real close. Unfortunately, I've never taken to another gig. Maybe they made me too conspicuous. Oh, and I was on the side so I came away with a bit of a sore neck. But while the music played and Bjork just glowed I didn't notice.

Bjork was previosly the lead singer of the Sugarcubes who I found a bit hit and miss. When they were good thery were very good but they could also be qnnoying. Mainly the squawks of the other singer in the band. Debut was all Bjork and much the better for it. We had a huge poster of the album cover on the Lizard Lounge wall however we played only a few of the songs off the album and they didn't become crowd favourites. There was always they risk that it would clear the dance floor.
So Debut became an album I played a lot at home. I was totally enamoured with her voice. And it's a brilliant album as were her next two.

No comments:

Post a Comment