Search This Blog

Thursday, April 29, 2021

Chelsea Girl by Nico 1967

 On first listen to the Velvet Underground and hearing Nico's voice I was quite on the side of those who would say what is she doing on the record. Then again the song on the end whose name I forgot and which probably came from John Cale's head wasn't a bag of fun either. But as I listened more and more to the album the off-key singing of this beautiful Germanic model made sense. But there was no way I would buy her solo album. That much I couldn't take. So for years, all I heard were the Velvet Underground songs. 

In the 80s I did go to see her play live at the Jump Club in Collingwood. It was really a horrible night and because I didn't pay to get in I didn't have that investment in trying to enjoy the show and spent most of the night upstairs drinking.

But a few years back I saw "The Royal Tennenbaums" a film by Wes Anderson, whose vision I find simply brilliant. I was addicted to watching his earlier film "Rushmore " on DVD for ages. Same with each film he brought out. One of the best things about his films is his use of music. To me, he is the master of putting songs to scenes. And digging up slightly off centre songs by big artists. So it was that I heard "These Days" and was knocked out. Together with "Fairest of The Seasons" (both songs written by Jackson Browne) I got quite hooked on listening to these terribly depressing Nico songs. But at the same time not depressing. Just a different world. Then I bought the Chelsea Girl album at first because of those songs and secondly because of the great cover. I found much to love about this album but I had to play it at the right time. But I guess that's like a lot of albums. They sound better at certain times of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment