Search This Blog

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Life's Rich Pageant by R. E. M. 1986


I was living in Elwood when I first heard about REM. There used to be a little record shop just past the roundabout near 7-11. Across the road from that was a musical instrument shop where I bought the acoustic guitar I use nowadays. I was in their rifling through the meagre selection of records when they started talking about how on the new album you could hear what the singer was talking about. They were speaking in such glowing terms I asked them to put on a record but they were sold out. I finally tracked the album down at Greville Records. And it was just brilliant.
It sounded great. It seemed to have a jangly Byrds-like sound all over it which appealed to me. And such great melodies. I was singing along to it night and day. Even at Inflation, I'd be at a table singing along to the tune in my head. Cuyahoga or I Believe. Fall On Me or Superman. One great song after another.
It was one of the first albums I neatly put in a plastic sleeve and sprayed with some anti-static stuff. I had just bought a superb sound system. This was one of the first heavy plays.

No comments:

Post a Comment