Search This Blog

Saturday, March 5, 2011

`

It's a toss-up between this album and Fanclub's "Bandwagonesque" for top honours but this beats it because of the way it's seamlessly integrated itself into my life. When I picked it up in Athens, Greece of all places I had kinda lost interest in the band so when I put this on my portable CD player, I was knocked out by how good it was. And it keeps getting better even as I listen to it now. I played the album all through the Greek Islands. It felt right sitting on the veranda sipping beer with the sun low in the sky. Or walking through busy streets. With that sun thing down on me.
And when I got home to Melbourne I continued playing the album and it's still a constant even now.. I must have played it at least once a month for the last 30 years.  It's become a part of my life. Not someplace I go to.... but the music I keep close..always.
It took me a long time to get it on vinyl too. In 2018 Little Murders toured Japan. On the last day of our stay I hung back at our Air BnB having a quiet one before leaving the next morning. We had played a gig in Yokohama in the afternoon. Our bass player Bruce went for one last walk around Shimokitazawa, which wasn't too far away, to look at some record shops. I got a text message that he had found this on vinyl. I was kind of miffed after the amount of time that I had spent in record shops over the tour. Total envy. 6 months later they rereleased all the albums on vinyl. Luckily I am not a purist so I picked up a copy.
Special mention to Fanclub's other classic album Grand Prix which is right up there with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment