Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers 1976

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
I first saw a picture of Tom Petty on the cover of Sounds magazine in 1977 when amongst all the UK punk bands the press over there were raving about this American band led by Tom Petty. I was really into punk then and couldn't understand why they were going on about these long haired old time rock band. Then I heard American Girl and thought it was brilliant. Then I read how Tom was working with Roger McGuinn and I heard Two Way Garden do a version of Breakdown at an afternoon session at the Ballroom.
Then I saw the album on sale for 2:99 and it was mine. And it was great. great to dance to. Great to drive to. It reminded a bit of the Byrds,  It was just good guitar pop from the opener Rockin' Around With You to Hometown Blues both of which my girlfriend and I  used to bop around to.
It really got me interested in all those other guitar pop bands from the USA which I had been ignoring of late. Bands that were being labeled power pop. And Tom kept making great albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment