Search This Blog

Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Beat by The Beat 1979


One of the last great albums of the seventies this album is a template on how to play great Power Pop. In retrospect this is probably the best Power Pop album ever. In a genre mostly known for singles The Beat came out with this. I can't remember where I picked it up from or even why I picked it up. But from the first track Rock N Roll Girl it just made me want to pick up my guitar and play along. I was living in Fitzroy North behind a petrol station and on the weekends I'd open up the windows and blast this one out. I guess I've always loved sharing my musical tastes with others either through putting speakers in windows or writing this kind of stuff. But hell this sounds good loud!
It really influenced my song writing style too. Then and now! This was the kinda stuff I wanted to write. Instant 3 minute classics. I never got to play any of these songs live but I was always trying to convince other bands to cover them. I got Jonestown a band who were on my record label Swerve to cover "Walking Out on Love". I remember hearing them play it at the Tote. It was glorious.
A few years back now Paul Collin's Beat also played the Tote with Little Murders supporting. It was great getting to meet Paul and he used my Fender amp too! And they were fabulous. A great guitar band.

No comments:

Post a Comment