Search This Blog

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Raindogs by Tom Waits 1985

I was DJing at Barbarellas when this album came out. I know this because every time I went to the bar for about a month after it came out the bartender and I would sing the refrain "For I am a Rain dog toooooooo!"
Couldn't get this record off the turntable. And I thought Swordfishtrombones was good! this was even better. I had been listening to Tom Waits albums for years actually since I saw him on In Melbourne Tonight with Don Lane in the seventies. Wish I could get a copy of that video! While I liked the albums I always found myself drawn to particular tracks and ignoring others. But Raindogs is so complete it does what the best albums do and takes you right into his world. In this case, a Kurt Weill vision of New York with its Down train Trains and shore leave sailors.
I remember I was staying up late taping episodes of Rage when a series of vignettes advertising the album were being played so I got to tape them on my brand new video VHS having just ditched the Beta player. It's just Tom telling 60-second stories related to the music.
I didn't think Tom Waits could make a wrong move. But then I couldn't get into his next album. I guess I had taken in too much Tom Waits in too short a time! Luckily I came round and rediscovered Frank's Wild years later on after Down in The Hole became the theme song to the TV series The Wire.

No comments:

Post a Comment