Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits by Bob Dylan 1967



Although released in 1967 I never really heard this until I found it looking through my girlfriend Leonie's records in 1975. Previously I hadn't cared too much for Bob Dylan probably because by the time I Dylan records came into my orbit it was the nasal sounds of Lay Lady lay and Nashville Skyline. I couldn't listen to that voice. But listening to this record and having just started writing songs myself this was a revelation. It was such a fantastic record and it was just the tip of the iceberg. It led me to go back and discover all those fantastic albums of the sixties like highway 61 Revisited.
I went out and bought the Dylan songbook and tried playing his songs. I tried to write songs like his adapting his chord sequences.
this album takes me back to Balwyn North. A Catholic home where the Mum and Dad didn't seem to like me. Finding records that you've never heard before in your girlfriend's collection. I never borrowed it either. It was better to go there and listen to it in her living room. Not long after that, the Sex Pistols came along and Dylan disappeared from the playlist for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment