Search This Blog

Monday, November 29, 2010

The Who Sell Out by The Who 1967


With it's fake and real radio ads this concept album (pirate radio) was a mainstay on my turntable during the late seventies when I was busy being a mod about town. Just listening to this album drops me into an era I was really too young to be involved in. The swinging sixties. And the best albums take you places you've never been to.
But it also gave me a lifestyle template. It's all about pop art, guitars and technicolour happenings. Some of the songs are slight and off the cuff. Some are jokey and poke fun at advertising. And then there is the brilliance of "Our Love Was" (with its Christian intro) and "Mary Anne with the Shaky Hand". Not forgetting the power of "I Can See For Miles".
I guess it was from albums like these that I started to rebuild the sixties around myself. My flat was as close to the sixties as I could get at the time. In the end, it probably looked more like a Sixties teenagers bedroom. Every wall was a postered up with The Stones and The Beatles & The Jam etc.
In the background, the Who Sell Out.
A fantastic album!

No comments:

Post a Comment