Search This Blog

Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Clash by The Clash 1977







This album came out in 1977 and seeing it at a record store in Box Hill was unbelievable. I'd read about it in NME but I was used to searching for records I wanted. This time it was just there! The vinyl was incredibly thin. but so many records were like that then.
When I got the album and put the needle on the first track "Janie Jones" all the promises of the overseas music papers came true. This was the best album since Ziggy Stardust. Every track is fantastic. Yes, it's punk-pop. They wrote anthems. But what anthems. Garageland & Career Opportunities and more!. Then there's the reggae Police and Thieves which almost steals the whole show until you go back and listen to the rest of the album again.
This became my template for writing songs. This is what I thought a band should be like. And still do. Though I accept that there will only be a few that reach these heights.
My album did suffer a sad ending, however. Moving from Elwood it got caught up in a stumble and broke in half. I was devastated. I kept the cover but I miss that record.

No comments:

Post a Comment