Search This Blog

Monday, November 15, 2010

Village Green Preservation Society by The Kinks 1968

The Kinks are my favourite band of all time. I've listened to their music for decades and never got sick of them. It all started with a cheap Kinks compilation I picked up in K-Mart in the early seventies probably around 1970. It had the song Waterloo Sunset on it and I was sold. Then I found a copy of Golden Hour of the Kinks.
Gradually I began buying as many Kinks albums as I could lay my hands on but the more I read about them the more Village green became my holy grail. I couldn't find it anywhere. I had the singles Picture Book and Starstruck.
Then one day I was going through the records at Monash Uni and found it. The American version with thick cardboard and fold out cover. Got it home . Magical. Listened to it for days. months, years. A truly brilliant album.
It begins with Village Green Preservation Society (the song) and suddenly we are now in Ray Davies world. And it's a place I always come back to.

No comments:

Post a Comment