Search This Blog

Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Rise And Fall of Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie 1972


My favourite album of all time. I bought this record with the money I saved up from my Chemist Round. I bought it in  Blackburn Newsagency which was close to Blackburn Train Station. It cost $6.50. 
After I heard Starman on the radio everything changed for me. Before this album, music entertained me. This album made me want to make music myself. I couldn't play an instrument so I started writing lyrics.
I was living with my Mum and sister Hazel in Blackburn South. They shared a big room so we turned the spare bedroom into a music lounge. I'd sit in there for hours, listening to this album and then Hunky Dory. I studied the cover deeply for clues.

Every song was a killer except for the one cover, "It Ain't Easy" which probably could have been left off. In my opinion of course. I played the album like I was listening to a pop opera. From 5 Years to Rock n Roll Suicide.
I took it to parties and tried to convince friends that this was the future of rock.
In England, in 1975 I took a two-bus journey that took me from one end of Blackpool to the other to see a girl I liked from the Ice Skating Rink. I sat with her Mum having a cup of tea and chatting about Australia for an hour and then the girl and I were left alone to sit in front of the gas fire and listen to the whole of Ziggy Stardust because I hadn't heard it for 6 weeks.
A few years later a fellow student at Teacher's College Kerry, one of my fellow students, recognised my infatuation with the record and gave me the UK editions inner sleeve which contained photos and lyrics.
And a few years back the band Even played the whole album live at the Cherry Bar and it was just brilliant from start to finish. Standing amongst a packed crowd singing along to the album that soundtracked my life was certainly a moment I'll never forget.
I love this album!

No comments:

Post a Comment