Search This Blog

Friday, April 12, 2013

It's A Shame About Ray by The Lemonheads 1992


I bought this album at Readings in Carlton on a fantastic bright sunny day. This is appropriate because this album just sings sunshine. I was searching around the store for music to buy for the club when I saw this CD for the incredibly cheap price of 14.95. Considering most albums were up in the 25 dollar bracket or at least 20 it made no sense that it was so cheap. The man behind the counter didn't know why either. Something about mini-album came up. But hey..it was 13 songs. But short songs.
I hadn't been to Readings or Carlton for a long time. Back in 1980 we'd meet the Mods up at a coffee shop or eat pasta at the many restaurants on Lygon Street. But since then I'd crossed the river from Fitzroy to St. Kilda. Or at this time, Elwood.
Around this time I was sharing a house with Little Murders guitarist Rod Heyward. It was a house I'd just bought a year or so back. I got him to paint the house. One morning we started painting at 7am with this album blaring out of the speakers. To warm us up. The neighbour was over before the first song was finished. The deputy mayor no less. It was a sunny morning and with all the white sheets covering the furniture and the white walls and everything we just had to play this music. Followed by the Las.
A few of the songs on this album I'd play at the Lizard lounge. Confetti, Bit Part and Alison's Starting To happen. But during the first hour when the music was really just for us. Mrs. Robinson however was a big dancefloor hit. Great album

No comments:

Post a Comment