Search This Blog

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Slade Alive! by Slade 1972


I loved Glam Rock. It was the first real movement I was part of as it happened. Too young to be part of the real Beatles era. Not that interested in Hendrix and Creedence and all those American bands, Glam rock was a godsend for early seventies teenagers. First, it was T. Rex. And then Slade. They came out with these magnificent singles "Cos I Luv You" and "Look What U Dun". Then they brought out a live album. The radio kept on playing "Darlin' Be Home Soon" continually. We'd all wait for the quiet bit and then the burp and then kill ourselves laughing. Simple pleasures. The record shop windows were always ordained with this cover.
And they were coming to the Melbourne Showgrounds. This was going to be my first real concert. Lindisfarne, Status Quo and Slade. Tickets were $5:50. I went with my friends Geoff Thake and Alan Barnard who would later roadie and mix for Little Murders. The place was full of sharpies dancing their strange sharpie frug. When Slade came on I was too small to see over the older kids so Geoff put me on his shoulders for what seemed like the whole gig. It was just amazing. The rain came down. Wet happy and having one of the best times of my life.
On the back of my bedroom door, I had a large poster of Slade. For a brief time, Slade were the coolest band on the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment